Tuesday, January 20, 2015

A sunset, a dolphin, and no photos

"Dolphin!"
Roshni said with a childlike joy.
The Ganges is known to have dolphins but rarely do they make an appearance.
Both of us stood silent for a minute and there it was. For a brief second, the brown-backed dolphin peeked through the afternoon water.
A cloudy and rather disappointing day was no more there.
As I prepared the camera to get a photo of it, a flock of egrets flew by making a white V against the orange sky. I might be visibly upset as Roshni looked through her big yellow glasses and said: "Some things are just meant to be seen."
I put the camera back.
No clicks, not a single frame to immortalise the beauty of that afternoon.
There we stood on the New Jetty in Diamond Harbour, silent. I enjoy these comfortable silences.
I close my eyes today and remember every moment of that sunset — the orange sky getting purple, the glittering water, the breeze, the dolphin, and her smile.
Some things are meant to be seen and remembered on a pensive afternoon, without any support.

No comments:

Post a Comment